Does your toddler like to sneak into your bed in the early hours of the morning?
Do they wake the whole house up before the sun is up?
Meet Sam the Lamb. Sam is a sleep training clock that teaches children when it’s time to wake up and when to stay in bed. Children start their day when they open their eyes in the morning and their day ends when they close their eyes at night. Sam uses this simple concept, opening his eyes to indicate it is time to wake up and he closes his eyes when it is bedtime.
The Story Behind Zazu
Founded by Nynke Bakker and Sven van der Veen, Zazu is a Dutch brand that continues to develop innovative products helping both children and parents all over the world get a good night’s sleep. Nynke and Sven teamed up in 2013, driven by their own parenting challenges, both being parents of 3 young children.
Amongst the struggles of everyday life, lack of sleep or a little one refusing to sleep, 5am wake up calls (as cute as the alarm can be) can make parenting quite challenging. Zazu aims to provide products that soothe and comfort as well as encourage a regular routine for little ones, ultimately supporting parents so they can focus on the fun and rewarding parts of parenting not the sleep deprived challenging moments.
Features of Sam the Lamb
- Eyes open & close – Sam’s eyes close at bedtime and open in the morning when it is OK to get up.
- Colour changing display – The LCD screen changes colour to symbolise morning or night.
- 2 wake-up settings – At a specific time, for example 7am in the morning OR after a set number of minutes, for example wake up after 120 minutes (nap).
- Analogue or digital time – Easy for children to learn and understand.
- Alarm clock – For older children or those who prefer an alarm, choose from 3 sounds with adjustable volume
- Adjustable brightness & auto shut-off – Dimmable nightlight can stay lit continuously or automatically switch off after 5, 15 or 30 minutes.
- Recommended age to start using Sam the sleep training clock is 2-3 years and up.
- Powered by batteries or mains electricity
- Available in Grey, Pink or Blue
- Measurements: 20 x 12 x 14cm
How can Sam the Lamb help my toddler stay in bed?
Sam encourages a regular sleep and wake up routine. Sam uses the easy to follow concept of opening and closing his eyes to indicate that is it time to wake up or stay in bed.
Sam also features countdown stars, giving your child an idea of how long they need to wait until it is time to get up. Twelve stars appear on the screen and they disappear one by one, counting down 30 remaining minutes until it is ok to get up.
Sam does this very quietly, not to wake up your child in case they are still sleeping. Sam the Lamb has a sound alarm which can be set different from the wake-up time (when Sam opens his eyes). For example, the alarm can be set half an hour after Sam opens his eyes.
How is Sam the Lamb different from other sleep trainers?
Sam uses the simple concept of opening and closing his eyes to indicate that it is time to wake up/go to sleep. This easy to follow concept encourages them to wake up and jump out of bed at a reasonable hour!
Sam the Lamb features two wake-up settings. He can be set at either a specific time, for example 7am or set for number of minutes, for example wake up after 120 minutes (nap time).